Built on the site of the old medieval hospice of St Giles (founded in 1114 under the care of the priors of Hexham Abbey) the clubhouse belies its modest beginnings in 1892.
Until 1906, the nine-hole course running alongside the River Tyne and leased from the Local Board, was the town's only golfing facility. The Tyne Green site was grazed by cattle, used by the people of Hexham for riverside walks, and the clubhouse consisted of a hut-come-changing-room.
The new Hexham Golf Club Ltd moved up from the river to its present location in 1907. Harry Vardon, co-designer of the new course, thought it 'as fine an inland course as you can find'. Its 5470 yard eighteen holes were fully open in early 1908, with a new West Point clubhouse.
The old West Course was sited on 80 acres of leased land to the west of the entrance road, and it served the club well. However, in 1951, the whole of the Spital estate was bought outright by the club. This included the house (now the clubhouse), which is a Grade 1 listed building, plus 70 acres of parkland to the east of the entrance road. The course, as we now know it, is essentially the creation of the noted golf architect C K Cotton who laid out seven holes to the east and 11 to the west of the entrance road.
By 1954, Spital House had been renovated as the new clubhouse and together with its magnificent parkland is now the backcloth for what Ryder Cup player Harry Weetman called one of the most beautiful settings for golf he had discovered in his career.